The South Brigde Road - Singapore
Historical link to Harbour and Chinatown since 1833
The South Bridge Road was built by convict labour in 1833. The Elgin Bridge, where the South Bridge Road starts, was the only link between Town Area, Chinatown and the New Harbour and was once the only place where people could walk across the Singapore River.
The Elgin Bridge is believed to have existed at the place it is currently located as a footbridge as early as 1819, the year Sir Thomas Raffles landed on Singapore. The current Bridge was opened to traffic on 30 May 1929.
The Sri Mariamman Temple is Singapore's oldest Hindu temple. The oldest parts of the existing brick structure date to 1843. Due to its architectural and historical significance, the temple has been gazetted a National Monument and is a major tourist attraction.
The Sri Mariamman Temple was founded in 1827 by Naraina Pillai, eight years after the British East India Company established a trading settlement in Singapore.